Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Musanze.






For the last five days I have had the opportunity to live with one of my best friends in Musanze Rwanda.

to say I had a good time would be an understatement.

I knew that I would have a great time since I would be spending it with Stephanie.. but I didn't realize just how much I would enjoy everything that her world has to offer.

I lived in her house with her Rwandese family who were absolutely amazing. Although there are frustrations, language barriers, and cultural differences - it was such an amazing experience! I absolutely fell in love with the four kiddies - even Kennith who can be quite a lot to deal with... from peeing on the floor, to crying at night you can't help but love him when he says "Stephatee" or says byeeeeee while moving his hand like a rapper.

Consolee took me in as her daughter and I felt right at home right away - especially after dinner when we all had a dance party. She always wanted me to "eat more" which I willingly did since Martine made such delicious meals!! (I really will miss rice and beans....)

The view in Musanze is so beautiful - One morning Steph and I decided to wake up and watch the sun rise over the town. There was a thick mist that slowly rose above all the trees and the sun rose behind the majestic volcanos. I also enjoyed a new running route especially since the town is much quieter and less busy than the city!

Apart from the family I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of living right in the community of Rwandese people. I wouldn't trade my house in Kigali... but to brush my teeth outside, pee in a hole, and partake in all the other traditional african experiences - I am so appreciative.

I also got to be a part of her placement at Wisdom Primary and Secondary school. I am not by any means a teacher, but I enjoyed teaching and marking english. I got to teach the students words with the "ai" sound while Stephanie used her great art skills to teach them what each of the words meant. I also got to work with the other girls that are volunteering in Rwanda to build some lesson plans and brainstorm ideas on how to teach students about computers.

After a few tears...I have returned back to Kigali to finish up my projects and enjoy my last few days in Africa. I can't believe only 8 more days and I will be leaving on a jet plane - not sure when I will be back again. I am sad to say goodbye and close this chapter of my life, but I am also very excited to see what the future holds for me.

1 comment:

  1. It is really hard to believe that you have one more week in Rwanda! We are praying that you would make closure in these next days, finish the projects that need to be completed and finish strong! We'll keep praying.
    We are also excited for what your future will hold!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete