Thursday, May 26, 2011

Living Intentionally.



Well, It is official - My Housemate has gone back to the UK and I have only one month left in this beautiful place they call Rwanda.

I have been looking forward to this stage in my journey. The stage where I can have a bit more independence and really focus on my last days here. I have been praying for a quite a while now... that I would really soak up my time here and live intentionally. Although it was hard to see my housemate leave.. it was good to hear the hearts of the people she knew and loved and to know that I will be doing the same thing in just one month. It also made me realize that there is still more I want to do before my time is done.

When I first got here I was overwhelmed with excitement - the people, the culture, the food, the friends, everything! There was so much to take in and it was all so exciting! Then I got to a stage where the excitement had died down and things were a way of life. At this point - it was important more than ever that I really kept myself busy with photography and projects - especially since I still had 3 months.

When my housemate was preparing to leave I couldn't help but think about when my time was going to come. I started reading lots on re-integrating back into your home country and thought about having to say goodbye to Africa. All I could think of was the fact that being in Africa has been a dream of mine since I can remember and that one day when I am home I am going to wake up and this will all seem like a dream. Who knows when I will make it back here and I don't want to leave with a single regret.

So I have devoted my last month to focusing on my relationships. Coffee dates and home visits are becoming a big priority and just really hearing people's stories. Although I am still doing photos and have another video project to start... I am making sure that I am spending my time wisely - I have committed also to working more on my relationship with God. Each morning I am devoting time to spend with him as well as attending more services at our church. Although I can't understand the kinyarwanda worship music - it is amazing to just listen and pray through the Psalms.

I am hoping that by the time June 23rd comes I will feel that it is my time to go. That I will be ready for the next chapter of life that God is calling me to. That the thoughts of Africa wont be a distant memory - but something that I hold close to my heart and take with my everywhere I go.

I will remember the dust on my feet from all the different places I have walked - and it will continue to be on my feet even as I walk in Canada.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will remember. You will always remember and it will always remain close to your heart. I can't think of a day where there isn't a story about my time in Africa in my heart and on my lips!
    I've been really loving reading through your blog Karyn. I have a feeling of pride for you - I'm proud of you for diving in and grabbing hold of an incredible dream and making it into something breathtaking!
    I continue to think of and pray for you, especially now in your last month.
    Many blessings old friend,
    Sarah (Kristen) Dillman
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. We continue to pray and are praying that you would finish well. Seems like you are doing all you can to be intentional in these last few weeks, and I am proud of the great job you have done! I can't wait to see and hear more when you are home.
    Africa captures your heart...and God will make something beautiful of it!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete