Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Visa Story.

So most of you know that I have been planning to go to Uganda to meet some people from my church there. I had applied for a volunteer visa back at the end of February and have been waiting for it ever since. Each week went by getting closer and closer to my departure date and still no word for the visa.

We decided to book my flight and bring a letter to immigration asking for my passport and visa back before April 10th so that I could leave the country. They said that the visa was pending because of something with the organization. They told me what I needed and I was on my way.

Serge then spent countless hours calling and meeting with people re-telling the story to each different person and hearing different things that were going to happen to ensure I could get my visa.

Days passed and many prayers were said but still no visa.

It was the last possible day to get my visa and with this week being the week of mourning – the odds couldn’t have been worse. Things are closed certain days, or only open half of the day – which just made me more nervous.

I had faith and high hopes until it came down to Friday morning, the last chance to get my passport. Serge called immigration again and talked with someone… I didn’t know what he was saying other then the odd “o ya” (no) and the sound of his voice telling me that things were not looking good. He was told to call back in five minutes and talk with someone else from immigration...

He then called back and talked to a lady who told him to come at four to the immigration office. YES! I thought… as there would only be one reason to go to the office and that would be to pick it up! I went through the day still a little nervous but having a positive mind frame.

4:00 came around and only had one phone call from Serge asking for me to spell out my full name as it is written on my passport. I didn’t hear from him again… this was not good news.

Later in the evening a bunch of the interns went over to Jen and Serge’s house to meet the new couple that is here for five months. I went in and sat down not even wanting to look at Serge because I knew the news wasn’t good. Dinner came and I was glad we didn’t have to actually acknowledge the fact that I didn’t have my passport or I don’t know if I would have eaten my dinner. Haha. Once I was finished Serge started…. “well Karyn..” he says with a sigh. “I have good news and bad news”. I was mighty glad to hear there was still some good news! “You are going to get your passport back – but not until Monday”. What a relief I thought – I can still go to Uganda and meet the team!

Serge then went into the story of what happened… He went to immigration and took a number and waited his turn. He told them that he was told to come at four and that he could talk to someone about my passport. He was then told to wait… so he waited… and waited… and waited some more. All the other customers were being served until he was the only one left in the office. It was time to close and they told him sorry but he had to go. He told them that he was here and had to get a passport – so they checked and found the Canadian passport and put it down. “here you go” they said “this is the last one”. He opens it up only to find that it was MIKE’S passport!! (The other intern who applied for a volunteer visa) “no no no” Serge pleaded, this is not the right one – “I need the one for the other Canadian girl she is traveling on Sunday!” The lady from immigration who was helping him with the passports came and said she put both of our passports through the machine to get visas but right after Mikes went through -The machine just stopped working! So that is why I don’t have my passport yet but will be getting it Monday morning.

Maybe something bad will happen with the plane, or maybe I will never know… but there is a clear reason why God didn’t want me traveling on Sunday.

Everything happens for a reason.

I am very grateful that I can still go to Uganda to see people from church and meet Anne. Thanks for all your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey... don't forget the VISA came back for your entire time. Something we weren't expecting! God is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it all worked out- in God's way and timing.May you have a wonderfully rich time with the Grindstone team and with Anne.

    ReplyDelete