Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Passport Story.

After travelling a total of 36 hours through Mombasa, Nairobi, and Kampala we finally got to Kigali. We were quite exhausted and just ready to get home. Nicole and I met a couple from the UK that were traveling through Rwanda and making there way to Burundi. We wanted to help them out so we found a place for them to stay at for the night and Nicole went with them to book bus tickets for their next day.

She asked me to go get the luggage with Mike to make sure no one ran off with it. I rushed off the bus to be ready for them to open the compartment and grab my luggage. There was a group of guys all standing by the bus running back and forth from the one side of the bus to the other making me really nervous. Not paying much attention to my backpack by the time I got my luggage and got in my taxi I realized that my one pocket was open and that my passport had been stolen.

It wasn't just the passport - but my computer cord had died (hence no new photos being posted…), my tripod had broken, I was sick and I had lost my Ipod connector…. I was exhausted and tired of things happening to me. When I called home I got some other news that just seemed to push me over the edge. It was easter and my family had all gotten together so it was nice to talk to all of them among all the other stuff that was happening.

After praying that night I realized how good God had been to me. Things could have been way worse - I could have been harmed. I know that a passport can be replaced but my life can't be… (also, it would be very expensive had they stolen my computer or camera!)

The next day I talked to Jen and Serge and they went to the bus stop to talk to some of the street guys they knew, I was hoping that this would be the one chance at getting my passport back. Guys that live on the street work and steal within groups - so I thought if Serge talked to some guys he knew they could talk around to other groups and maybe find out who took it. Serge also posted some signs claiming that there would be a reward if the passport was returned - also hoping this would be in my favour because there was no money in the passport…

The next day as I was walking home I was thinking about it and I just thought to myself "God, I know that you can do this… I just don't know if you will.."

Needless to say within 2 minutes of me getting home I got a phone call. It was Serge. He asked me to come open the gate - I ran outside thinking there would only be one reason for him to be at my house…. Sure enough he had the passport and all the other documents in his hand.

Honestly, when does that happen?

I am so blessed and thankful to serve such a big God.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, Karyn, and praise God for providing this miracle for you! I SO enjoyed reading all about Uganda and your mini-vacation in Kenya. I can't wait to hear more....keep 'em comin'!
    Love you!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... any you are welcome. I love you and miss you - and can't wait for you to get your computer working so I can connect more often!!

    ReplyDelete