Friday, April 1, 2011

A Way of Life.



Well.. the excitement has settled and things here are just a way of life now.

I would be lying if I said it hasn’t been hard at times being away from home when people are all going through such exciting stages of life – including the marriage of one of my closest friends. But – through much prayer and the wise words from my mom the excitements at home shall pass and I would regret not loving every single moment here. BUT I am happy to say that I am and I am SO happy to be here.

I am definitely finding blessings in the small things and truly am enjoying the way of life. Although I get tired of all the staring… I do enjoy walking lots here, and find that I enjoy living at a bit of a slower pace. (For the most part haha)

I have had a bit of trouble with my passport… it is currently at immigration and I am supposed to leave the country in just over a week to go to Uganda… this is a daunting problem. We have been trying to sort things out in regards of getting my visa and passport but I can’t help worrying that they wont finish it in time and then I will miss out on my trip to Uganda. (please pray!!)

I have found that it has been hard to be such a heart person and then to not be able to connect as deeply with people because of the language barrier and the limited time I have with people. But I was able to feel a little rejuvenated because we had a girl come from the States for two weeks. Her name is Maddy and she is planning to move here in August. Her passion is to open up schools in Rwanda and programs for children with special needs. We got to know each other pretty well and had some great heart to hearts over coffee.

This week I have been able to do a few home visits, which has been really nice. Earlier in the week we went to visit Peggy who is such a fun and sweet lady. She couldn’t stop telling us how happy she was to have us there and we couldn’t help laughing at how much she flirted with Mike! We each bought a pastry and enjoyed some Fantas over a game of Go Fish.

Today we went to visit Alice who literally lives on the top of a mountain! Nicole had gone earlier in her stay here and had been preparing us for this enormous trek! She got us to wear our heavy-duty shoes and stock up on water only to find ourselves on the back of bikes riding all the way up the hill! Haha I was a little weary at first, but the bikes are surprisingly sturdy and we managed to make it up the hill with full air in our lungs and a fun “off roading” experience.

When we were with Alice we enjoyed fantas (of course) and got many beautiful pictures of the view! Nicole also brought money to buy Alice a goat as a gift. We went out into the neighbourhood to find her the perfect goat. It was quite fun and it was so nice to bless her!

I think taking pictures and editing has inspired and reminded me of how happy I am to be here and how blessed I feel to have this opportunity.

1 comment: