Saturday, February 19, 2011

culture shock.




Today I had a bit of culture shock.... but it's not what you think.

There is a place in Kigali called African bagel company and on Saturdays you can go to get bagels, doughnuts and other delicious foods. They were having a photo exhibit today so I decided to go with Jen to see some photos and eat some more "North American" food.

We walked into the gate and ALL I could see were white people. It was so crazy and overwhelming. Everywhere I looked I saw blonde and blue eyed boys and girls, babies, men and women of different ages but almost all were white!

I never thought I would experience this kind of culture shock in Rwanda. It was nice to meet some people living here and have a little 'taste' of home. (not just referring to the bagels!)

I also got to meet the lady who started a project for children to learn and do photography. (hence the exhibit) She is a photojournalist from New York who now lives here and teaches photography! She started it for the therapeutic aspect and also to generate some revenue. It was so nice to talk to her about why I am here and talk about our shared passion. She even invited me to one of their classes to show some of my photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment