Saturday, February 26, 2011

Genocide Memorial



Today I went to one of the Genocide memorials.

It is hard to believe that a place this serene with people so friendly went through a time of such horror and hatred. It almost felt like I was hearing about and seeing a different country entirely.

I was able to keep my composure until I got to the last section that was devoted strictly for children who had been killed. It had photos and included their favorite food, or thing to do etc. It also included how they were killed. This is where I lost it….

Reading about a mother’s baby being killed with a machete in her arms is probably the hardest thing you could read and something I will never understand.

When I was finished this section of the memorial I looked outside to see rain pouring down over the country – I felt like God was weeping for what happened here in April 1994

2 comments:

  1. Karyn... I keep trying to comment on this, but it is just too hard and I find that I really can't form my thoughts... I think that I am really quite speechless... and just hurting in my heart.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't even imagine. . . and yes, God wept.
    I am sure it was an experience you will never forget. Hopefully this was an event that the world will never forget - and will never allow to happen again.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete