Thursday, February 17, 2011

from tuesday (late post due to slow internet!)




I traveled (on my own!) for the first time today. I walked down to the street to catch a motor taxi. I waited, and waited, and waited some more until I finally found one without someone on it. I managed to use my minimal Kinyarwanda language to ask to go to my destination. I set a price and off I went! It was going well until the motorcycle started to shake and I realized the bike was out of gas! I just decided to get off and grab another taxi in a busier part of town. Again using my awesome Kinyarwanda skills (haha!) I got another bike and was on my way. It was smooth sailing until two roads were blocked off and had a nice detour on a very bumpy dirt road. It was an adventure!

We eventually made it to my destination and I headed with Jen to immigration. We stopped at a couple places and then sat for a while and had a great conversation while we waited to get my volunteer visa.

After lunch I went to church for Ubuzima where I got to hug and smile with all the ladies – it felt SO good to be there. I really enjoyed just being with the everyone and also got to learn the first part of making beads! It was storming while we were there so the ladies all got a laugh out my ‘jumps’ from the thunder.

After Ubuzima I headed on my way – flying solo to catch the bus in rush hour. I made a friend on my walk, his name was Isaac and he spoke very good English. He walked me to the bus stop - which was by his house. I said goodbye but one minute later he showed up and said that he was going to wait with me and make sure I got on the right bus. I waited and waited once again and finally Isaac pushed me onto a bus and away I went.

It doesn’t seem like much, but today was a better day.
I keep reminding myself… it is only week two.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great! It is good to see you in a picture too. I am guessing that bead making is harder than we would all imagine. How DO they get them that tight?!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, I told her I want her to teach me when she gets back! Maybe we can have a bead party? :) I think they are beautiful - bought some earrings and a necklace when we were at the church in Waterloo to hear and meet Jen and Serge and they are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete