Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kayonza: Project Water.


When we ran out of water last night – I didn’t realize that was going to be the theme for the next day. I woke up, put on my charity water shirt and went to a place called Kayonza. Jen and Serge were taking me to see a well they just had put in. We also went to visit a lady named Veronica. She is an elderly woman who is raising 5 of her grandchildren. Before, they were all leaving in a banana leaf house but a team was able to raise funds and come to build her a nice house for her and her grandchildren.

Serge was talking with some of the people in the village when he found out that they are charging a ridiculous amount to buy a small jerry can of water. Not only are they charging way too much, if you can’t afford to pay for the easily accessible water, the nearest water supply is a total of 2 hours walking distance.

This is where my first video project comes in! Serge and I are going back next week to hear from people in the village and also do the trek ourselves to get water. Hopefully this will be a good documentation of the water injustice in this village and also show how incredible it will be once a water tank is put in. Jen and Serge are having water from their well go to a water tank just down the road from the village. I am so excited to shoot my first official video and to post some of the photos I took during my visit to Kayonza.

2 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you as you take on this exciting task! I can't wait to hear and see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen, for all the great posts and pictures! We will read these with great interest and pray more knowledgeably. I can't wait to see the photos and posts from this adventure. You are on the frontline, fighting for justice here. . . God is using you already!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete