Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My First Official Week.

It has officially been a week. Part of me feels like it has been way longer and part of me feels like I am still a tourist. I have enjoyed my first week so much! From riding the bus, seeing mille des Collins, being fitted for a customized dress, and going to all the best restaurants I have had a good first experience of life here in Kigali.

It is still hard to feel confident in this unknown land when I don’t speak the language. I have been able to learn a small bit of the language in only a short time here. I’ve got my basic numbers down and the essential phrases. Kinyarwanda is a beautiful language!

I have visited two ministries so far, the street kids ministry and Ubuzima HIV/AIDS. It was great to meet new people and see where I will be spending a good amount of my time while I am here. I automatically get hugs and smiles just by saying I am Danika’s friend. (For those who don’t know – Danika spent 3 months here last year) She left an amazing impact on all the people in these ministries and I am loved just by knowing her!

It is fun to be a white person here, all the kids wave at me and I absolutely LOVE it! It is also fun to call other muzungus out only for them to look at you and laugh because you too are a muzungu!

I can only imagine what it will be like in a month, two months, and five months. I know that right now my fears and insecurities are so big but I know that God is faithful and will bring me through them. I have no doubt that I will love living here!

1 comment:

  1. been reading the posts to Grandma, who loves hearing all the details :)

    ReplyDelete